Friday, February 10, 2012

That trickster

A dear friend once told me about Trickster energy, and since I have had a week with many moments of depression, self-pity and emotional eating, I decided to take a look and see what this trickster energy is about and determine if that's in action here.  This is what one site had to say:

Although trickster's actions and personality may seem ridiculous or extreme, some scholars have noted that he/she serves an important purpose in traditional and contemporary narratives. Trickster may work as a kind of outlet for strong emotions or actions in which humans cannot indulge. These actions are at the margins of social morality and normal behavior, so humans can express and feel things through the trickster that would be unsafe to express or experience outside of stories.  In this sense the trickster is a kind of "escape valve" for a society.

In spite of his/her flaws, the trickster often represents the introduction of good things to society.  He/she might bring to the culture important knowledge, food, medicine, customs, clothing, and other good things, often in spite of his/her intentions.  http://hercules.gcsu.edu/~mmagouli/trickster.htm

So, when I am wondering why I'm behaving in a way I used to behave, that doesn't serve me, I can look at it as trickster energy and work at finding what it's pointing out to me.  What is the old way of being?  What is the new way I'd like to be?  Am I there?  What subtleties of the old behavior still linger?  What's my next step?  What blessings does this tricky energy bring to my life and learning?

Exploring.


No comments:

Post a Comment